Midlothian Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pub Closer

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
musicman

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Pub Closer Empty
PostSubject: Pub Closer   Pub Closer Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:59 pm

Last night 7th of November was to be the last night of the 'Victoria Inn' in Auchendinny, sad to see this pub go having been a regular there for many years (use to commute from Penicuik!!!). Hopefully another buyer will be soon, but in the current climate who knows when this will be..
Back to top Go down
carnethy

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Pub Closer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pub Closer   Pub Closer Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Believe it wasn't financial woes that caused the closure. Shame as they had some of the best beer in the area.
Not looking good though, with the Fishers Tryst due to close at the end of the year. Also believe the Roslin Glen Hotel is now shut too!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Pub Closer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pub Closer   Pub Closer Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 6:22 pm

It would certainly be a shame if it did close. I don't visit pubs very often these day although I have been to the Victoria Inn a few times in the past and quite enjoyed the entertainment. I don't think my brother in law will be too happy either as he used to take the equipment for some of the bands there.
Back to top Go down
https://midforum.editboard.com
rubbereye

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Pub Closer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pub Closer   Pub Closer Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 10:26 pm

And now I'm hearing that the Flotterstone isn't doing too well. The staff have been told that their "jackets are on a shooglie nail" if trade doesn't pick up and the place was closed at 9.30 (or earlier) last Friday.

This isn't good. In fact, it's seriously bad. I was reading that when Glasgow built it's overspill and slum clearance schemes like Ruchazie and Eastergouse, it was decided that there should be no pubs. Now the "powers that be" have decided that that was a big mistake. They now realise that, like clubs, churches, schools and (come to think of it) even wee internet forums, pubs become mini-communities in their own right. Some of the social problems that developed in Ruchazie and Easterhouse are, believe it or not, now attributed to the lack of pubs.
Back to top Go down
carnethy

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Pub Closer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pub Closer   Pub Closer Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 5:10 pm

The Vic has been opened up again and is under new management. With no Bilston Inn and the Roslin Glen being shut, the Vic might be OK. Also believe the owners of the Fishers Tryst have been refused permission to build flats at the site. It will remain as a pub but will be up for sale.....anyone confirm?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pub Closer Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pub Closer   Pub Closer Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pub Closer
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Midlothian Forum :: Midlothian Local Issues-
Jump to: