Midlothian Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Winter travel

Go down 
+2
Admin
musicman
6 posters
AuthorMessage
musicman

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 1:47 pm

This morning was surely the first morning of trouble getting into Edinburgh but it made a nice change for the problem to be caused by the weather in the City itself and not by conditions in Midlothian. Was amused that whilst Lothian had very limited services running, the 101 from Biggar, 62's from Galashiels v Peebles and the 141 where all running and passed my house (albeit the 101 was about 20 mins late!). Still Lothian did send a few empty buses out to provide some service around 9! So I gets into work just after 10am and the boss says, "I think we'll close at 1pm" - at which point I was slightly erm, wishing I'd just phoned to say sorry I'm stuck.... Smile
Still I can't remember ever seeing snow in the City Centre like there was this morning.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 7:09 pm

Spare a thought for my son. He booked an Easyjet flight up from London. He turned up at the airport this morning to find that most of their flights including his had been cancelled. He had to make his way to St Pancras to get a train up instead. When he booked the flight it cost him £70. He had to stand all the way on the train for over 4 hours and paid £110 for the pleasure Sad Please keep the noise down as he's sleeping after being up since 4am this morning Smile
Back to top Go down
https://midforum.editboard.com
musicman

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 9:05 pm

Seems that everyone is being disrupted in some way or another, after this year I don't the song 'dreaming of a white Christmas' will be sung quite so much... Laughing
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 7:51 pm

With the lack of snow clearing, especially within housing estates, it would be nice if we could do the same as most people do when a service provider does not do their job well and sack them then get someone else in to do it properly.
Surely the cooncil have enough manpower and equipment to get the snow cleared - there is no point having the main roads clear if you cannot get from your house to travel on them.
Back to top Go down
carnethy

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2008-11-09

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 11:18 pm

Well we have had no grit in our "grit bins" for weeks and the gritters won't come near us. This is now becoming a joke as folk cannot go about their business. My neighbour has written numerous letters and phoned umpteen times to MDC to no avail. As a result, many of us are stranded.

I'm now sick of it. We pay our council tax but we get f##k all! Tomorrow I am going round to the offices of MDC and will threaten them with legal action if nothing is done. It is an absolute disgrace! It wasn't like this years ago. Even the main roads are awful.

I would like some support though. Anyone behind me?
Back to top Go down
musicman

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 2:45 pm

Surely the problem here is that the council have for the past few days been battling to keep the main routes clear, no point in having easy access to a main road that is then blocked.. In addition to this when was the last time we had the same kind of conditions? We ourselves have become adverse to coping with weather like this and the council like every other council have also grown have less resources available. That said, streets not gritted since this time last week must be in one hell of a state and I can understand why people are far from pleased..
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 5:59 pm

I've seen the gritters come along our street a couple of times since the bad weather started. However, today I heard that although they came so far along our street yesterday, they turned back before they reached my house. Apparently the reason was due to the way vans were being parked on the road. Some people who parked there vans in side streets before the bad weather are now parking on the main street so that they don't have to negotiate the hills if it turns icy.

The gritters are big vehicles and it cannot be easy trying to do their work in narrow streets with so many parked vehicles compared to the way it used to be.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeWed Dec 30, 2009 11:11 pm

Of course it is a Catch 22 situation - if they had cleared the snow and gritted streets in the estates earlier then people would not be parking their cars / vans there.
There seems to be a real lack of work being done and the situation is not helped by people who clear their drives and dump the snow on to the pavement! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
sybil

sybil

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-06-17

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:14 am

Aye they should pit there snow in there re-icicleing bins
Back to top Go down
elljay

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-07-19

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 6:43 pm

SamTyler wrote:
the situation is not helped by people who clear their drives and dump the snow on to the pavement! Evil or Very Mad

My next door neighbour has very generously shared "his" snow with me by meticulously clearing his monoblock drive for their two cars and dumping the snow on my adjacent, open plan front garden Rolling Eyes When it finally melts, because of the camber, my front path will be swimming & flooded - the same happened when he power-cleaned his monoblock & all the sludge and grime ended up on my path - cheers, neighbour No
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 7:16 pm

What on earth is going on with the traffic on the A701? We ordered a chippy from Loanhead and after waiting an hour and half it still hadn't arrived Mad They did phone us to say that the delivery driver was stuck in traffic due to 3 accidents and then again to say that the driver had decided to turn back Sad We then ordered a takeaway from the Pennycook and it eventually arrived at 6.45pm.

Also, one of the kids was coming home in a taxi and was due home at 5pm. She eventually arrived at 6.10pm Shocked
Back to top Go down
musicman

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 2:27 pm

The heavy snow about 5pm turned the A701 into an ice rink, the road conditions where horrendous and that was after it had been gritted several times during the day.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 7:32 pm

Most strange as my son and his friend were heading into Edinburgh for the festivities at the same time and they had no problems getting there Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Winter travel Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter travel   Winter travel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter travel
Page 1 of 1