Midlothian Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fly tipping in Penicuik

Go down 
+3
Admin
rubbereye
Lightlevel
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Lightlevel

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-03-12

Fly tipping in Penicuik Empty
PostSubject: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:35 am

Spotted some rubbish which clearly must have been to much hassle for someone to take to the skip, on Maricewood Road.
Much easier to drive up there in the dark to dump rather than the recycling depot during the day?
Reported it to the Council.

Why do some lazy F'er's do this? GONNAE NO DE THAT.
It must be a game to them. Mad

Anyone else seen any other fly tips? Let me know or call the council.
Back to top Go down
rubbereye

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:47 pm

Lightlevel wrote:
Reported it to the Council.

It seems to happen round here every time around this time of year. I reported something similar on Glencorse Road some years ago........ and it lead to a conviction! Believe it or not, cooncil wokers actually sifted through it all until they found an envelope - which probably had recently contained a Christmas card - bearing the name and address of the culprit.

I also once took the registration number of car in Roslin, the owner of which was dumpimg bin liners full of garden refuse opposite the Wimpey estate. Within a couple of hours, the police phoned me back to say that the culprit had been advised to remove it and dispose of it properly - and that he'd done so.

Report it! You will be taken seriously.

Nail the b@st@rds!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 7:02 pm

I've just been for a walk down at the old railway. Although there is a barrier with a padlock at the former entrance to the Dalmore paper mill, someone has dumped two large fridge freezers there Mad This really gets on my nerves. Is there a charge for taking them to the recycling point? The only reason I can think of for dumping them is because it would have needed a van to transport them.
Back to top Go down
https://midforum.editboard.com
rubbereye

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 9:53 pm

Admin wrote:
Is there a charge for taking them to the recycling point?

No

Admin wrote:
The only reason I can think of for dumping them is because it would have needed a van to transport them.

They probably also needed a van to dispose of them illegally, and at the risk of a fine, at Dalmore Mill.......... It doesn't make sense, does it.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 6:46 pm

I don't think vans or trailers are allowed at the Penicuik recycling facility and that is probably why they didn't go there.
Here is a picture of the offending items.

Fly tipping in Penicuik IMG_0498_640x480
Back to top Go down
Lightlevel

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 2:58 pm

I believe vans and trailers are allowed but they must be 'non commercial' i.e. no company name on the side.
I think Penicuik depot can refuse commercial waste which then has to go to Stobhill.
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 6:46 pm

There used to be a theory -- probably just an urban myth -- that certain people working the black economy while on benefit would dump their old stuff rather than take it to the tip because they were afraid someone would spot them and start asking questions. Likewise why they wouldn't call the Council to take it away. As I say, probably just a myth!
Less of a myth that Edinburgh folk have been known to dump stuff in Midlothian because they would have had to pay to have it taken away (though they used to do it closer to home) and also true that traders have been known to dump rather than pay landfill charges.
I've never understood why they do it when it has to be easier to pick up a phone. The only reason I can come up with is that for whatever reason some people don't want "them" to know what they're doing.
(With which I can sympathise, but not to that extent.)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 7:19 pm

The real reason is probably that it is a commercial firm and they don't want to pay the £40 collection fee to the council.
Back to top Go down
Lightlevel

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 9:57 am

Yes, your probably right, but, the rubbish dumped on Mauricewood Road was domestic not commercial.

Fly tipping in Penicuik Mauricewood_tip
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 10:58 am

The inane EU regulations regarding disposal of electrical goods has created problems.
A number of firms now offer to take away your old cooker/freezer/washing machine when they install the new one. I would not be surprised if some of those end up in places where they shouldn't.
The Law of Unintended Consequences strikes again!
Back to top Go down
Chris

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-02-17

PostSubject: Fly Tipping   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeTue Jan 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Back to top Go down
SueDOnym

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 8:43 am

Article and photo about the Mauricewood Road fly tipping in this week's Advertiser.
Back to top Go down
Lightlevel

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 am

I took a photo to post here for all to see but can't get it to work yet!
Help any one? Inserting an image doesnt seem to work for me.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 pm

I have sent a private mail explaining how to resolve the problem.
Back to top Go down
Chris

PostSubject: Fly Tipping   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeWed Jan 12, 2011 5:42 pm

Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 7:35 pm

After taking the picture of the fridge freezers I wrote to the council asking them
to make arrangements for their removal. Having received an acknowledgement
saying that my request had been passed to the appropriate department, I thought
that would be the end of it. However, take another look at the picture above. I have
now received another e-mail telling me that because the freezers are on the other side
of the gate they are on private land land. It will therefore be up to Miller Homes to clear it away at some
time in the future Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Lightlevel

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 9:56 am

Andy

I can see their point from a legal prospective. They have to have boundries some-where but - come on guy's,
surely they could move them if Miller Homes give them permission!

Failing that - anyone fancy a quick 5 minute job this weekend?
Slight lifting of household appliances may be required.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeThu Jan 27, 2011 7:43 pm

Technically they are right, but in this case I'm sure that nobody would have minded if the rules
had been bent a wee bit. As for moving them, you are going to need a van and be sure that you
wouldn't have problems when you turn up with them at the recycling centre.
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeFri Jan 28, 2011 11:13 am

I'm not sure Lightlevel's plans included moving them quite that far. Laughing I think his reference to a "quick 5 minute job" is the clue.
Wasn't the Council's excuse something about them being on the wrong side of the fence?
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Lightlevel

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 11:30 pm

Mike

Your take on this was quite correct Wink
Do you get this happening over there?
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Not that I've noticed. My half hour stroll round the village pond this afternoon turned up one fag packet and a dead blackbird.
If you have stuff that's too big for the dustbin or plastic bag (in this commune they'll pick up either) you lump it into your trailer (or somebody else's) and cart it off to the décheterrie. There is a fairly hefty charge if you're commercial but so what? You pay it. It's part of your overheads and it's reflected in the bill. Tradesmen's charges here tend to be a bit on the steep side (though our experience is that the end result is good quality -- when did you last see a TV aerial cable trunked down an outside wall?) and there are sanctions against the grey economy so the temptation to bend the rules is a bit less than in the Uk. Added to which I think they take more of a pride in their country than we do. I doubt that anyone caught fly-tipping round here would make it as far as the gendarmerie in one piece!
One thing is certain. The local maire would not be happy that his staff had refused to get rid of that sort of rubbish on the rather wimpish excuse that it was on private property.
Back to top Go down
Basil

Basil

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 2:24 pm

Admin wrote:
I've just been for a walk down at the old railway. Although there is a barrier with a padlock at the former entrance to the Dalmore paper mill, someone has dumped two large fridge freezers there Mad This really gets on my nerves. Is there a charge for taking them to the recycling point? The only reason I can think of for dumping them is because it would have needed a van to transport them.

I noticed further along the old railway at Eskbridege, somebody has dumped an old bathroom suite !
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeTue Feb 01, 2011 7:11 pm

I heard about that and even saw a picture of it. I also heard that the fridge freezers
had been removed but when I passed that way on Sunday in my car, I'm sure that they
were still there.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 7:17 pm

I hadn't seen much more fly tipping recently, until today. I feel sorry for the farmer at Glencorse Mains farm as this rubbish will need to be shifted so that he is able to access the field

Fly tipping in Penicuik 6911463838_4a440a70c4_z
Back to top Go down
Chris

PostSubject: Fly tipping   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 9:55 pm

What a disgrace. Hopefully we can adress these incidents in the next few weeks

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fly tipping in Penicuik   Fly tipping in Penicuik Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fly tipping in Penicuik
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next