Midlothian Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Email from Bill Fearnley

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Wen

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-26

Email from Bill Fearnley  Empty
PostSubject: Email from Bill Fearnley    Email from Bill Fearnley  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 8:55 am

Hi

I received this email this morning

To: <bfearnscot@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject: RE: URGENT REQUEST
Date: 03 February 2011 07:42

I'm sorry to bother you at this time but my trip to London, Lagos Nigeria has been a mess. I was having a great time until last night when I got mugged and lost all my cash and credit cards, It has been a scary experience, I was hit at the back of my neck with a club. Anyway...... I'm still alive and that's whats important. I'm financially stranded right now and need your help. i need you to loan me $2200, I'll refund it to you as soon as i arrive home. I will appreciate whatever you can afford.
I await to hear from you ASAP.
Bill

I no longer live in Penicuik. I assume my email is there from Ladywood Leisure Centre days. I would never give money just to an email like that.

I thought that if this is real you might want to know. If this is a scam and someone has picked up Bill's email list, he might want to know. Please could one of you check?

Thank you.

Back to top Go down
pitsgate

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Email from Bill Fearnley    Email from Bill Fearnley  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 9:35 am

Somebody's hacked his email account. I got it as well.
I have passed the information on to a local contact (I'm too far away to do much good from here) and suggested he let Bill know what's happened.

My advice is the same as it has always been:-
1. Anonymous emails (those where the 'to' address is the same as the 'from' address) should always be treated with extreme caution;
2. Forwarded emails (even from your best friend) warning you of a possible scam are almost certainly themselves part of a scam. We are all gullible to some extent and in some circumstances; the scammer just needs to "press the right button".
3. Don't fall for "Your Computer May Be At Risk" pop-ups and offers for all sorts of file checking and speed checking and other checking software that can appear when you download something.
4. When you do download a program or a file always run it through your anti-virus software before you open it.
5. If you must use an anonymous email address then please do not use hotmail; it's about as secure as a wet paper bag. (As William has just discovered. As also has my sister-in-law --twice! You can't tell some people.)
6. Invest in a decent firewall and anti-virus program. You don't need to invest all that much: AVG and ZoneAlarm both have free versions which for the average home user do everything that is needed.

Have a nice day!

Follow-up 16:20 GMT I was right. His address book was compromised (as I suspected) but that was obviously picked up fairly quickly by some of the recipients. Object lesson in making sure your systems are secure!
Back to top Go down
sybil

sybil

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Email from Bill Fearnley    Email from Bill Fearnley  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 5:09 pm

he widnae ask ye for dollars neither
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Email from Bill Fearnley    Email from Bill Fearnley  Icon_minitimeThu Feb 03, 2011 7:22 pm

I received the e-mail as well. However, my ISP filters out spam and when I found it there
I was immediately suspicious. I have heard of this scam before as well and then I also
noticed how the sender address seemed to be the same as the receiver which was very odd.
I then deleted it along with the other 50 spam mails that I had received Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://midforum.editboard.com
Wen

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Email from Bill Fearnley    Email from Bill Fearnley  Icon_minitimeFri Feb 04, 2011 12:45 pm

Thank you for that. I assumed that the address book was probably stolen. Like Sybil, I thought $ looked dodgy.

I was concerned that the text is so like Bill's language. I could hear him saying it (other than the request for money). Other scams I've seen are much more obvious linguistically. I hope that Bill has checked all his friends to be sure that no-one has been bought in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Email from Bill Fearnley    Email from Bill Fearnley  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Email from Bill Fearnley
Page 1 of 1