Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

We do not need this!!!!! NO!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SamTyler

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: We do not need this!!!!! NO!   Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:25 pm

https://planning-applications.midlothian.gov.uk/OnlinePlanning/caseFile.do?category=application&caseNo=11/00159/DPP

They must have too much money to waste if they want to build ANOTHER hot food takeaway outlet here in Penicuik, next to the bus stop judging by the plans!
Time for the council to BAN any more of them
Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LothianLass

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: We do not need this!!!!! NO!   Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:00 pm

Is that the royal 'we'? Don't think so, and how is this going to affect you?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pitsgate

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: We do not need this!!!!! NO!   Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:17 pm

LothianLass wrote:
Is that the royal 'we'? Don't think so, and how is this going to affect you?
He lives just round the corner if I remember right!
It doesn't affect me since I'm 1,000 miles away but I still think it's crazy that someone should think there is room for yet another hot food shop in the town. Where do they think this is? Loanhead? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SueDOnym

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-08-22

PostSubject: Re: We do not need this!!!!! NO!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:39 am

While I agree to a certain extent, I suppose it depends whether it's better to have ANOTHER hot food takeaway, or a shop lying empty and slowly deteriorating into more and more of an eyesore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LothianLass

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2010-06-22

PostSubject: Re: We do not need this!!!!! NO!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:07 pm

This is planning permission, sought by the owner of the development on one side of the 'precinct', to build a new shop. I doubt that he would be going ahead without having a prospective leasee ready to move in.

It is a pity, though, that some of the empty premises can't be utilised, such as the former Clydesdale Bank which is in a prime position.

As for 'we' not needing this, market forces will be the ultimate judge of that if permission is granted and the plans go ahead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SamTyler

Number of posts : 918
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: We do not need this!!!!! NO!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:48 pm

The reason why the people of Penicuik don't need another takeaway establishment built is that there are already two empty units with hot food licenses (L'Amitie and former McColls newsagents) plus numerous other retail outlets sitting empty. I don't see the point in building another one - if the demand was there then they would all be filled and trading. I assume there is some tax benefit in building more places then leaving them empty?? Anyone know how it works?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pitsgate

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: We do not need this!!!!! NO!   Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:16 pm

The applicant owns McColls (not L'Amitie or the Clydesdale). There was (is?) an application for Class 3 for a unit opposite the Town Hall which would be next to where the new dental surgery is. From the plans it looks as if this is going to take over most of the service yard which seems a bit odd.
You're right that if the demand was there suitable empty premises would not be empty. Lothian Lass is also right that the market will decide. Trouble is the market might decide that one is enough and two will both go down the pan. How does that help anyone?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: We do not need this!!!!! NO!   

Back to top Go down

We do not need this!!!!! NO!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Midlothian Forum :: Midlothian Local Issues-
Jump to: