Midlothian Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.

Go down 
+11
bumble
elljay
Wen
SamTyler
rubbereye
musicman
pitsgate
gonzo
Evil Edna
Admin
captainspaulding
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
captainspaulding

captainspaulding

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-10-25

The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Empty
PostSubject: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Just wondering whether these plans had actually been passed or not?

http://www.midlothianadvertiser.co.uk/news/Broad-backing-for-town-centre.3248366.jp

Any opinions? Good? Bad?

Apparently Aldi have plans for a store too, in Eastfield Drive.

I know a lot of people like these stores, and obviously if they open in Penicuik then those who rely on lifts or public transport etc. to go to Dalkeith or wherever will love it. Personally though, I'm a bit worried it's just turning the town into a bit of a supermarket shrine. Would the Lidls really bring people back to the town centre? Or just to the Lidl car park? I can't imagine it looking exactly pictuesque either. I guess these are minor points.
Back to top Go down
http://www.prbt.co.nr
captainspaulding

captainspaulding

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 3:10 pm

btw, this doesn't really warrant it's own thread (alledgedly) but what's becoming of the fruit & veg shop beside the royal bank? I saw a notice pinned to the door, so I'm guessing it's going to be filled by something?

Hope it's another Chinese takeaway. We really need another one of those Wink
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 11:40 pm

If it is going to bring some more employment to Penicuik, it must be a good thing. It makes a change from hearing about businesses closing down. However, I have some reservations about the location which seems to be concentrating the supermarkets in such a confined area. This could mean that there will be quite a large increase in the amount of traffic in the area.
Back to top Go down
https://midforum.editboard.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Well, now we know. It looks as if it is going to be Aldi and not Lidl http://www.midlothianadvertiser.co.uk/news/Aldi-store-to-create-12.3718839.jp
Back to top Go down
Evil Edna

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2008 9:08 pm

http://www.midlothianadvertiser.co.uk/news/Aldi-to-open-store-in.3701536.jp

I thought Aldi was going down by Tesco. What is happening at Imrie Place?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 05, 2008 7:19 pm

You're right. The latest article didn't say where Aldi was going to be built and I forgot that Lidl was wanting to build near the town centre.
Back to top Go down
gonzo

gonzo

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:54 pm

Yes, unfortunately the plans for yet another supermarket have been passed (no thanks to the help of one local councillor, who couldn't even be bothered to turn up to his own surgery! and when we did meet him he pretty much said he couldn't help - thanks!!) I unfortunately stay in Imrie Place and despite all the local residents writing to petition against it as well as setting up a petition with ourselves and the doctors surgery it seems that all of these complaints were ignored! Yet another attempt to regenerate the town. we'll see what happens a years time when the building is sitting empty!

I have to say I think that it is an absolute joke to build another supermaket in Penicuik, do we really need 4 (if Aldi comes too!). It will also have a knock on effect with trying to get parked in Imrie Place as so many people use it as a Park and Ride, lets hope these people get the message and use the new park and ride at Straiton!!
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 10:27 pm

Do you have a problem with trying to regenerate Penicuik, gonzo? I agree that four supermarkets in the town does seem a bit excessive but if they all make money and give people more choice, then why not?
I will reserve judgment until I see whether the new shops in the centre actually go ahead but since the owner applied for building warrant for 11-15 John Street last August and is still waiting for MC to make a decision I wouldn't blame him if he decided that he isn't welcome here and took his money some place else.
Meantime how about we try the posiitive approach for a change?

Incidentally, the alleged car parking spaces for the surgery were never reserved for surgery use; there is space to create at least four more spaces at the back of the building which is their property; I have never seen those spaces full during surgery hours yet.
Back to top Go down
gonzo

gonzo

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 4:57 pm

I dont have a problem with trying to generating Penicuik if its done properly with some decent shops not supermarkets, takeaways and hairdressers!
Back to top Go down
musicman

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 9:23 am

I see there is a big sign next to the bus terminus in Penicuik from Lidl, "Opening soon". Anyone know when all this work kicks off ?
Back to top Go down
captainspaulding

captainspaulding

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 2:32 pm

I'm with Gonza on this one. Supermarkets providing choice for the shopper is all well and good. However, I'm no expert, but Aldi and Lidl's are essentially the same thing. In fact, they are owned by rival brothers I think. The fact that they're going to be at seperate ends of the town doesn't matter an awful lot, since the vast majority of supermarket shoppers are car drivers anyway.

Aesthetically, the buildings are bound to be horrible. Garish yellow signage for a start. Characterless boxes.

Where is the access to the Lidl store coming from?

Somerfields, imo, is a pretty horrific experience anyway. A ghost town shop for large amounts of the time, with limited stock. Would be interesting if Somerfields simply shut up shop if competition in the face of Lidl, on top of Tesco. That's a big space taking the car park into account, and if something imaginative could be done there (would have been a great position for a pool) then that would be some serious regeneration.
Back to top Go down
rubbereye

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-02-13

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 6:18 pm

captainspaulding wrote:
That's a big space taking the car park into account, and if something imaginative could be done there ......

Maybe it's not the most imaginative idea you ever heard, but I reckon Penicuik urgently needs a decent car park along the lines of those two in Peebles.
Back to top Go down
captainspaulding

captainspaulding

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 11:15 am

rubbereye wrote:
captainspaulding wrote:
That's a big space taking the car park into account, and if something imaginative could be done there ......

Maybe it's not the most imaginative idea you ever heard, but I reckon Penicuik urgently needs a decent car park along the lines of those two in Peebles.

I agree. At just about all times there's a lack of spaces. Safeway car park never a car or two away from capacity; the Square always full; cars parked on the short stretch outside the post office (with the island there it's pretty bad at times.) I don't know what the "surgery" car park is like now. Is it free, but only for two hours? Or is there a charge now? Don't like the guy in the yellow coat anyway. I steer clear of him.

If, hypothetically of course, Somerfields shut and that space was free, it would seem the right place to have car parking facilities, although not all of it. But if you had part of the ex-supermarket building clear, then that would open up the preceint, and remove the need for a road through the place (there always seems a rumour or two that the council will try to turn Penicuik into Peebles by putting a road down the middle.) Maybe a discreet multi-story (but just one story, with cars on the roof or someting) could be a possibility, and into that build a couple of new premises and worthwhile facilities.

Then there's the land that serves as the delivery point for Safeway, and also backs onto lloydstsb, William Hill etc. Who owns that?

Pointless talk in a way of course. If the land there was ever sold, the council would never buy it for regeneration for the public. Even if they wanted too, they couldn't afford it.
Back to top Go down
gonzo

gonzo

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 11:44 am

Totally agree with Captainspaulding on Somerfield, I have stayed in Imrie Place for 28 years and only go there if I really have to!! Apparently the precinct manager had spoke to local residents and everyone she spoke to said they were happy with the plans, its just a shame that she seems to miss out all of the residents in Imrie Place and most of Penicuik when she done her research.

On the plans that residents received from the Council you will no longer enter Imrie Place car park from Imrie Place. Where the entrance to the car park is at the moment will be sealed off and this is where the back of Lidl will be. As far as we are lead to believe with the entrance being sealed off for Lidl there will be no turning point for people coming in to Imrie Place which will be great until the first ambulance or doctor is trying to get a long to the Health Centre!!

Where the bus terminus is at the moment will be moved, on the orignial plan the bus stop was to be right outside the Health Centre just as you come round the corner but this apparently has not been passed due to road safety issues! and there was to be a roundabout just passed the traffic lights where the bus terminus is at the moment to take you into 'Imrie Place' car park. All the trees are also being dug up along Imrie Place to add more parking to the car park but they are suppose to be being replaced these which is a great shame as it gave us a rather nice outlook but now we will have a rather ugly shop to look at.

They were doing drill tests in the car park just 2/3 weeks ago and work is due to start in the next few weeks. Not quite sure if they are going to be keeping the car park open from the main road when work starts as like I mentioned Lidl is going at the entrance so parking is going to be fun in Imrie Place. Its just unfortunate that they slapped this 4 hour limit on Imrie Place car park as there was never much of a problem parking until they done this.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 7:07 pm

If they are going to move the bus terminus does this mean that the buses will not be able to turn to go back to Edinburgh any more as they will have nowhere to park?
Back to top Go down
gonzo

gonzo

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 9:02 pm

Pretty much, I think they were going to create some sort of slip road off as you come round the corner at the front of the Health Centre but dont really think they have taken into account that the buses actually sit at the bus terminus if they are early etc. Don't know where the main bus stop is getting moved to now as all we got from the council was the letter with what had been agreed but said that this part of it hadn't be passed.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Lidl   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 8:18 pm

I heard recently that the big yellow sign which has been erected by the bus stop is illegal since that is a conservation area and they did not get planning permission. Wonder why the council have not done anything about that?
Back to top Go down
gonzo

gonzo

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 9:51 am

That is interesting, although I am not sure if that area is still classed as a Conservation area anymore as I know that the whole of Imrie Place was a Conservation area and apparently that got lifted so the houses at the back of the Health Centre could be built and years ago we weren't allowed to have satellite dishes on the front of the building because of it being a conservation area and now there are loads of them on the front of the building.
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 1:07 pm

SamTyler wrote:
I heard recently that the big yellow sign which has been erected by the bus stop is illegal since that is a conservation area and they did not get planning permission. Wonder why the council have not done anything about that?
The troublemakers were out in force three months ago, taking photographs and rampaging around the place demanding (like they do) that it be taken down at once.
The council planners did do something about it, Sam! Told them to ***k off and mind their own business basically! These are the people who object to every development in the centre of the town and oppose any change that is likely (no matter how remotely) to provide economic benefit to Penicuik.
The Flat Earth Society meets the Amalgamated Society of Luddites!
Back to top Go down
Wen

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-26

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 1:27 pm

I'd be interested in clarification of Gonzo's points, pitsgate.

Is Imrie Place a conservation area?
If not, when did it stop being one and were there any rules/restrictions on its further use?
If it is a conservation area of any type, is the yellow sign within the rules?

You know me quite well, I think, and you know that I will be sympathetic to anyone who wants Penicuik to look a bit prettier and provide an aesthetically pleasant place for us to live. You also know that, like Madonna, I'm a material girl in a material world and believe that jobs and money in the town centre could do a lot to assist that process. It is a balance, though, and needs thought and careful handling. I'd just like some facts here, please.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 4:47 pm

Ah yes, those lovely troublemakers! I know exactly who you mean - are they also to blame for the non-appearance of the "Bustracker" signs in Penicuik as it is almost a year now since the posts were installed.
I used to think it was just the council not bothering about us until I learned the truth about this bunch of antis who oppose any plans, often causing them to be scrapped due to the high cost of appeals and inquiries. Often more is spent on legal fees etc than the cost of the work!
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:31 pm

Wen, I have some sympathy but in the final analysis a town centre is primarily a commercial area. We have a lot of people who are very pessimistic about development in the town and argue that there is no point in building more shops when some of the existing ones are empty.
That is a point of view but when a firm is prepared to put a lot of time, money, and effort into developing the precinct and other parts of the centre I would respectfully submit (m'lud) that those of us who are not putting our time, money and effort on the line should respect those who are.
I am assured that the Lidl sign is quite legal which I assume means that whether it is in a Conservation Area or not all the necessary permissions have been granted.
Apart from which it's only a hoarding, for God's sake. There are worse eyesores in Penicuik than a sign saying that something good is about to happen to the town centre.
Of course there are still those who will object because the firm is German. Most of us have got over that problem, even those of us who lost relatives in the last unpleasantness, but there are still a few ...

Sam, I can't comment on the bustrackers because I don't know but I'd be surprised if they were objecting; they're all in favour of buses as far as I know. About the only thing they are in favour of except grassing over the precinct and closing all the pubs!
affraid
Back to top Go down
Wen

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2007-08-26

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 1:10 pm

German? A problem? Why? (I do realise I might be asking you to use all your psychic and clairvoyant powers.)

Petra Kelly, the Green coalition, '99 Red Balloons', affected a large segment of German society when we had barely the odd recycling point. What's the problem, exactly? Laughing
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Wen wrote:
German? A problem? Why? (I do realise I might be asking you to use all your psychic and clairvoyant powers.)

Petra Kelly, the Green coalition, '99 Red Balloons', affected a large segment of German society when we had barely the odd recycling point. What's the problem, exactly? Laughing

I don't have a problem, as I say. I suspect you don't either. There are some who still have not forgiven or forgotten. Perhaps with good reason, who knows. Or perhaps my comment was not in the best of taste. Either way, as we both know, there are those who see it as their life's work to put the mockers on anything that is suggested for the town centre.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Latest I have heard on the Lidl situation is that the builders who were going to construct the new store have gone bust so they have to get another contractor in, with the usual delays etc. Let us hope they can get a move on soon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.   The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The plans for Lidl in Penicuik, Imrie Place etc.
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next