Midlothian Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cycle lanes

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Cycle lanes Empty
PostSubject: Cycle lanes   Cycle lanes Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 7:09 pm

I notice that the council have been repainting the cycle lanes on the A701 and making them slightly wider.
As a cyclist I appreciate the lanes, but as a motorist I do not like the fact that they have become double
broken lines. Also, I do not like the fact that motor vehicles have been squeezed together even more.
At one place in particular near Milton Bridge, if a bus and a car were to pass each other at the same time
one or other of them would have to venture into the cycle lane. They have also created a cycle lane coming
off the Gowkley Moss roundabout near the place where there have been two fatal accidents which will mean
drivers will have to take the corner wider than they would normally do.
Back to top Go down
https://midforum.editboard.com
Ironlung

Ironlung

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Cycle lanes Empty
PostSubject: Hmm   Cycle lanes Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:53 pm

Common sense suggests that the cycle lanes may be sort of flexible and driven over at narrow bits if there is no cyclist ahead, however, should one be seen, then hold back and give plenty room – what’s the problem?

Edit - Having said that, I have no regard for the design of the Gowkley Moss roundabout, with its crazy tightening up radius curve going south and its lane funneling going north - illogical nonsense. People study for years to become highway engineers, then produce crap like this, but it must be checked by some bod at the top before spending hundreds of thousands, you'd think.

Another edit - Don't mention the camber!
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2007-09-01

Cycle lanes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle lanes   Cycle lanes Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 1:17 pm

Just after Gowkley Moss was opened a friend of mine who is a highways engineer happened to be passing through on his way to a holiday in the Highlands and I took him to have a look at it. His comments were, shall we say, less than favourable.
He identified seven problems without even getting out of the car! He reckoned that at least two serious accidents a year either on the roundabout itself or connected to it (entering or leaving) were likely based on its layout and construction.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cycle lanes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cycle lanes   Cycle lanes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cycle lanes
Page 1 of 1