Midlothian Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Another new business

Go down 
+4
Basil
Lightlevel
SamTyler
rubbereye
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rubbereye

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2008-02-13

Another new business Empty
PostSubject: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 6:42 pm

Today, someone showed me a letter they'd received from Midlothian Licencing Board.

It looks like a new business called Penicuik Wines is hoping to take over the empty Off Licence on the High Street.

So it's good luck to them, and good news for Penicuik.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 4:39 pm

Yes, good luck to them, I am sure many people will be happy to have a proper off-license in the town again.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeWed Jul 07, 2010 12:16 pm

I see we also have a new carpet shop just opened in John Street, next to BNC Autoparts. They are also working on the photographers shop in the precinct, Joes Shoe Bar in the Square and getting on fast with the Tesco filling station too!
It certainly makes a change from last year when it seemed to be non-stop closures Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 5:03 pm

The Tesco filling station is now open - much rejoicing in the 'Cuik! (except for the BP station)
Smile
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeThu Jul 29, 2010 6:45 pm

..and the new barbers shop in the Square (used to be Joe's Shoe Bar) is due to open on Monday 2nd August. Good luck to them all.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 3:46 pm

The new dental centre will be open soon, work has started on Penicuik Wines in the High Street, half of the precinct has been repaved and we have a new carpet shop too. The photographers studio seems to be completed but does not seem to be open for business so far.
Anyone know of any other new businesses coming to Penicuik (not takeaways!)
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeMon Oct 11, 2010 6:38 pm

Shocked to see that someone is taking over the former pet shop in John Street and getting it fitted out. No indication what it is going to be but at least it means one less empty retail unit. Now they just need to get some people in to the High Street! Smile
Back to top Go down
Lightlevel

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 11:27 am

This is going to be occupied by the Salvation Army I hear - another Charity shop I'm guessing.
Back to top Go down
rubbereye

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeTue Nov 09, 2010 11:13 pm

rubbereye wrote:
Today, someone showed me a letter they'd received from Midlothian Licencing Board.

It looks like a new business called Penicuik Wines is hoping to take over the empty Off Licence on the High Street.

So it's good luck to them, and good news for Penicuik.

They're open!

Good selection of beers; single malts at sane prices............ I forgot to look at the wines.

Nice shop. Nice people.

So, I repeat, "good luck to them."
Back to top Go down
Basil

Basil

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 10:54 am

Yes, excellent selection of wine, and very nice shop. They *should* do fine.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 11:15 am

The old dry cleaners is being fitted out for one of the beauticians and I also saw some work going on in the Pound Store last night as I went past. Perhaps there is going to be some progress?
UPDATE: a sign in the window says "opening soon...Nickel and Dime store" Hmmm!

I also noticed that the Peni Deli is now "under new management"

Smile
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 7:07 pm

More info on possible new businesses - the former newsagents has been given permission to change from retail to hot food / takeaway - I know you will all be rejoicing at this wonderous news!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rubbereye

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2010 10:35 pm

I'm not saying I know anything, but no flaming way on planet Gob do I believe that it is possible to make a legitimate profit from yet another Penicuik takeaway!

Maybe - and it's merely a suggestion whereby the proprietors of any new takeaway or other cash business could make a profit - they could try this.

On behalf of some "friends", launder a good but reasonable amount through your till, pay taxes accordingly, then, in a couple of years show some prospective buyer your wonderful figures (which will have been accepted by the Revenue) and then move on with a perfectly legitimate Capital Gain.

As I say, I don't know anything. I'm just saying that's how I'd go about it.

I have no reason to believe that any of Penicuik's takeaways, extant, extinct or proposed, are in any way dodgy.......... If anything, I am merely admitting that the plethora of crappy takeaways in Penicuik and Dalkeith is causing me to think logical but dodgy thoughts.
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2010 8:11 pm

Same old question, guys. Do you want that building full or empty?
I can't remember how long it is since the newsagent moved out but if someone's prepared to stick their neck out, good luck.
(Though just about anything except another hot food shop would have been better, I agree.)
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 11:00 am

Another planning application goes in for ...... you will never guess.....a restaurant / takeaway! This time at 24 High Street aka Brian the Butchers old place! Though I would prefer it to be used rather than sitting empty, I just fail to see how so many food outlets can all survive in the one small town. Surely everyone in Penicuik does not go out to eat all the time, especially in the current financial situation?
Back to top Go down
omala

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 5:17 pm

The American way, dining out and home deliveries. Boom industry, see the waist lines..
Back to top Go down
rubbereye

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 8:41 pm

Can someone clear up something for me, please?

Am I right in thinking that I can apply for - and even maybe be granted - planning permission to convert any building into an eatery, even though I don't own the building (or land) and haven't even contacted the the owner?
Back to top Go down
sybil

sybil

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 3:47 pm

gie it a try rubbery an tell us whit hapens
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 4:59 pm

sybil wrote:
gie it a try rubbery an tell us whit hapens

A little expensive since it has cost them £319 to put in the application plus there will be architect and agent fees (the agent is Gordon Strachan Building Design!!!!) so could easily knock them back £1000 for nothing at all. This is another reason why people wonder if there is something else going on that makes so many people so desperate to open yet more food outlets here

affraid
Back to top Go down
pitsgate

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 5:19 pm

rubbereye wrote:
Can someone clear up something for me, please?

Am I right in thinking that I can apply for - and even maybe be granted - planning permission to convert any building into an eatery, even though I don't own the building (or land) and haven't even contacted the the owner?
Technically speaking, rubbereye, you can. Or you could last time I looked -- parliament seems to amend planning legislation more often than it changes its collective shirts.
It may be that you plan to lease the lproperty from the owner (or buy it) if and when consent is granted though in that case it is more usual for the owner to apply rather than the end-user.
Planning decisions actually have little to do with ownership; they are technical matters. Provided you meet the criteria you can get consent. If the owner then refuses to sell you've stuck your neck out and had it chopped off! The owner (if he didn't approve) would be well advised to register his protest with the LA and make sure that the consent wasn't personal to the applicant. For obvious reasons.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 7:31 pm

Another Indian Takeaway coming to the Square (the former Oympia Cafe / McTalys site) and now the butchers is all boarded up so something looks to be happening there too. What next in the "takeway town"?

Question
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeTue Feb 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Not really a new business but a possible change of ownership. Let us hope it works out.

http://news.scotsman.com/news/Shop-sale-is-on-the.6713845.jp
Back to top Go down
rubbereye

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2015 10:44 pm

A business called Store Twenty One has opened in the precinct - the place until recently occupied by that St Margaret's Hospice charity. It's a women's frock shop; a wee change from the usual takeaways and hairdressers.

Tesco's don't do frocks, so this Store Twenty One place might have a chance. Good luck to them anyway.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Anyone fancy buying a bank for only £445K? More details at the auction site here:

http://www.auction.co.uk/commercial/LotDetails.asp?A=927&RQ=SR&MP=25&ID=927000078&S=L&O=A
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 11:14 pm

Lots happening in Penicuik at the moment - something new and exciting opening in The Square.....another hairdresser! Work is ongoing at former Semi-Chem shop in the High Street plus planning applications have been lodged to convert the pet shop in Bank Street to a vet practice and convert upstairs from Cafe Marmaris in to flats!

Can we cope with all the excitement???? What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another new business   Another new business Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another new business
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next