Midlothian Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Recycle bins

Go down 
+2
Ironlung
bumble
6 posters
AuthorMessage
bumble

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-07-29

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 10:06 am

Does anyone hate the blue and red bins as much as me?

I have to carrry mine through the house to leave them at the front. If they are wet I dont put them out or I end up with a stream of water from the back door to the front.

I dont have room to keep them in the house or in a shed/garage so they have to sit in the garden.

If it is windy collection day you have to go hunting your bucket at the end of the street. Fine if you are in when they are emptied but if you have to work you have no idea were they will be by time you get home. Again if it is windy you end up with the contents of the paper bin all over the street as the dustbin men take of all the lids and pile them in one bit to wait for the truck.

I have no problem with recycling but I feel the council have gone about this in the wrong way. I hate the fact my bin is not emptied weekly. On a hot day it smells. Ok not a lot of hot days recently but you can have food waste in it for two weeks. I once put some fish the day after it was emptied not thinking and had to live with the smell for almost two weeks yuk. Its a bit much when you have to think if it is ok to put rubbish in the dustbin.

I was hearing on the radio yesterday Edinburgh council are going to introduce a on the spot fine for over filling your wheelie bin. Wonder if Midlothian is going to do something simlair. I know a lot of people on my street will be in trouble if they do.

My back garden is paved and my front garden is gravelled so I dont have any garden waste but i have a big brown wheelie bin taking up space I dont have. I am sure if you do garden this comes in very handy but when ever I see them being put out they are over full to. Either they are not big enough or they need empting more than fortnightly in the summer

Ok my rant over Smile
Back to top Go down
Ironlung

Ironlung

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Bin crime   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:23 pm

From "The Telegraph"
Guidance issued by the Government has told councils to impose fixed penalties of "no less than £75" and up to £110, potentially a more severe penalty than the £80 fine that police often hand out to those guilty of drunk and disorderly conduct and shoplifters.
The Flycapture Enforcement guidance says penalties for "waste receptacle" offences must range between £75 and £110 and suggests a standard fixed penalty of £100.
Earlier this year Gareth Corkhill, a bus driver from Whitehaven, was given a criminal conviction after being taken to court when he refused to hand over a £110-on-the-spot fine by council inspectors, who found the lid of his wheelie bin open by four inches.
At the time, Mr Corkhill remarked: "It's only an £80 fine for fly-tipping. I would have been better off doing that."
Mr Corkhill was ordered to pay £210, the equivalent of a week's wages, after he declined to pay the on-the-spot fine.
He was originally asked for the fine when he was confronted by inspectors, from Copeland Borough Council in Cumbria, wearing stab-proof vests and armed with photographic evidence of his crime.
Back to top Go down
Ironlung

Ironlung

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: More bin crimes   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:29 pm

From "Daily Mail"
A frail pensioner has been told she must drag her wheelie bin more than half a mile down a steep hill for it to be emptied.
A young mother has been ordered to pay nearly £400 for leaving her wheelie bin in the wrong place. Holly Dutton, 26, failed to pay a £100 fixed penalty notice issued when she left the bin in an alley behind her house in Horwich, near Bolton
A mother of four who broke council rules by putting out extra bags of rubbish next to her wheelie bin has been fined £600
As the dustmen were striking on collection day, it was no surprise that by the next week Stephen Walton's wheelie bin was full to bursting. However, the father of four was taken aback when council staff returned to work - and wouldn't collect his rubbish because the bin was too full.
Binmen have put two fingers up to common sense by issuing an astonishing warning to council-tax payers.
'If we can't pull your wheelie bin using just two fingers it is too heavy - and won't be emptied.'
Bins that need three or more fingers, they claim, constitute a health and safety risk as they could fall from the lorry while being emptied.
Back to top Go down
Ironlung

Ironlung

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Even more wheelie bin madness   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:34 pm

Yet more from "Daily Mail"
A nearly-blind war veteran of 96 was snubbed by binmen who refused to empty his recycling wheelie bin because he had dropped two glass jars into it by mistake.
A council refused to collect a pensioner's garden waste bin because he had dumped cabbage stalks in it. Barry Freezer, 73, cut the ends off vegetables he had grown in his own garden before placing them in the brown wheelie bin
Once her heavy wheelie-bin had been manhandled to the end of her driveway, pensioner Patricia Pilkington thought she had done her bit. But she was astonished when petty-minded binman ignored it - on the basis that it was a foot short of the pavement where it was meant to be left
Back to top Go down
Ironlung

Ironlung

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Tip of the iceberg   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 9:46 pm

All these incidents above are a small sample of what a web search reveals regarding this wheelie bin lunacy.
What I would like to know is how it is possible to prove that the householder was responsible for the contents of the bin, or even its position on the kerb? Surely it would be a simple matter for a prankster or perhaps even a malicious troublemaker to meddle with the bin. Perhaps someone with an already full bin might be tempted to sneak their rubbish into someone elses'.
If you make sure there is nothing to identify you in the bin, then how can it be proved who is responsible for this reprehensible crime.

From "Private Eye" - Number Crunching,
£110 Maximum fine recommended by government for those who overfill their wheelie bins
£75 On-the-spot fixed penalty for littering (making it more economical to chuck excess rubbish in the street instead)

And so it goes on - seems I really have a bee in my bonnet about this, eh?
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 9:52 am

Many examples of just how crazy Britain has become, Ironlung. It now seems that you could expect to receive a lesser punishment for attacking the bin-police than you would for having an overfull or wrongly placed bin!
A good example of the madness is the fact that the story of the guy from Whitehaven appeared on the front page of the New York Times and some other US papers recently as they could not believe how crazy we were.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/27/world/europe/27garbage.html

Of course only a cynical person would think that the excessive fines were another way of raising money to pay the inflated salaries of council officials Very Happy bounce
Back to top Go down
Evil Edna

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 11:22 am

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article4381155.ece

Or we could live in the Yorkshire Dales and have to humpf our rubbish to the next village for collection!
Back to top Go down
SueDOnym

Number of posts : 74

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 11:29 am

The lid on my grey wheelie bin was partly broken by the bin lorry before last Christmas, and despite reporting it at the time, nothing happened. When it was finally broken off altogether (in June) I reported it again and asked if I could get a new bin, only to be told this was unlikely as there was "a national shortage of wheelie bins"! I threatened to kick up merry hell (I mean, what was I supposed to do in the meantime - my bin was stinking with no lid on and filling up with water if it rained) and lo and behold, a new bin appeared.
Meanwhile, my mother-in-law's bin disappeared altogether and when she challenged one of the bin men (who were collecting bins further down her street at the time) he told her it had been "eaten by the bin lorry"!
As they say, you couldn't make it up...
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 6:35 pm

A while ago when I was watching the bin men doing their thing I saw the lorry eat one of my neighbours bins. They nonchalantly carried on as if nothing had happened. It was certainly a sight to behold Smile
Back to top Go down
https://midforum.editboard.com
SueDOnym

Number of posts : 74

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeTue Aug 12, 2008 9:40 pm

Interesting....at least my mother-in-law wasn't telling porkies then! (Or the binman, for that matter) Laughing
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-17

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2008 9:27 am

The bin lorries obviously have a taste for them now! Same thing happened to my next door neighbour. The binmen did not seem at all concerned and he had to ring up for a replacement himself.
Back to top Go down
bumble

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 11:42 am

I wonder if anything can be done about these blooming recycle bins. again another windy day. You get them occasionally in Penicuik Wink Something the council hadnt realised. This morning the street is covered with paper and plastic bottles. People have put them out and they have blown into the road, lids have blown of and the contents all over the place. I am at home today was able to rescue my bins as they started to skid along the street but I think by time people come home tonight they will have to go on the weekly bin hunt.

I was in Northumberland a couple of weeks ago and they have a much better system. The paper, plastic and tins all goes into one wheelie. Glass wasnt collected which was the down side as you had to take that yourself to the recycle bins at the local shops. I cant remember to take my bags to Tesco let alone my empty bottles. But I think it would be so much easier than these useless bins.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Apparently we had the same problem here. My wife told me that a neighbour hadn't put the cover on her blue bin and all the plastic bottles seemed to end up in our garden Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
https://midforum.editboard.com
bumble

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 2:12 pm

Back to my old gripe about these bins. Yes i need to get a life but i get so frustrated with them. last week mine went missing.but low and behold they turn up this week. Obviously someone took them by mistake. Easy done but this mistake left me without bins for a week.

it would really help if the bucket men would stop piling them in one heap over the road then have no idea were to put them back.

Also the "sorter" runs a head, piling all the bins in one place and taking the lids of ready for them to be emptied. Great it probable does save time but he is so far ahead by time the lorry has got to them the paper has blown all over the street.

ok monthly moan over again lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Recycle bins Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recycle bins   Recycle bins Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recycle bins
Page 1 of 1