Midlothian Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Midlothian Forum

A place to talk about Midlothian Scotland and more

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Penicuik pedestrian precinct

Go down 
+3
SamTyler
gonzo
Admin
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1299
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Penicuik pedestrian precinct Empty
PostSubject: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 8:14 am

I've had a leaflet through my door and my wife was telling me that there is a petition going about suggesting that there is a possibility that the pedestrian precinct in Penicuik might be opened up to traffic. I also understand that one of the reasons behind the proposal may be to provide car parking for the new flats that are being built. Is this the case? I'm not sure that it would be a good idea to open it up again and it would definitely be a bad idea to allow parking as the width of street is too narrow as it is. Does anyone have any more information about what is being proposed?
Back to top Go down
https://midforum.editboard.com
gonzo

gonzo

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 10:28 am

As far as I know the Cooncil have pushing to get the precinct open for a while now but I haven't heard more about it recently. Its seems stupid doing it now, they developer has just spent all that money on the wonderful Obstacle course that is now the main part of the shopping centre. really can't see it happening. I know years ago someone tried to build flats where Edwards was (where the new flats are now) and they were refused as there was no parking/access to the properties. So I don't understand why they were allowed to build these flats now - who knows lol!
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

Number of posts : 989
Registration date : 2008-03-17

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 5:42 pm

The cooncil have been considering this for a few years now but I don't see any chance of it happening with the current financial situation (ie: they are skint!)
The fact that the sale of Jackson Street school has fallen through along with the lack of progress at Ladywood and Eastfield sites also make it likely to be another of those "much-discussed-but-never-happen" schemes we so often hear about in Penicuik
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:43 pm

You're right, if they do have any spare money they should be spending it on fixing the Roslyn-Rosewell road instead.
Back to top Go down
musicman

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2009 8:47 pm

Really don't know what reopening to traffic would achieve. On another note I noticed today that the empty shop next to the takeaway at the 'tower shops' is being worked on which what looks like a counter on the inside - any ideas?
Back to top Go down
gonzo

gonzo

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 12:17 pm

hold on to your hats - I have heard that the new shop at the tower is going to be an Itailian deli/cafe. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bumble

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:47 am

gonzo wrote:
hold on to your hats - I have heard that the new shop at the tower is going to be an Itailian deli/cafe. Very Happy

Good place for a cafe, between a sandwich shop and a chippy Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 4:08 pm

Quote :
Good place for a cafe, between a sandwich shop and a chippy

That seems to be the way it goes in Penicuik - more of the same thing. I just wonder who makes up their business plans - how do they get the money for these projects?
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeMon Aug 10, 2009 1:39 pm

See that there is more about the precinct idea in this month's Town Crier. The vast majority of people seem to be opposed to the plans which may mean that the cooncil will try to go ahead with them since that is their usual form of "consultation". It does seem crazy when a lot of money has just been spent resurfacing the road and putting in crossings.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeFri Aug 14, 2009 12:27 pm

Although not unexpected, this seems to confirm that people do not want the pedestrian area opened up again http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/latestnews/Ban-on-traffic-should-remain.5554755.jp
Back to top Go down
new_age

new_age

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 4:06 pm

To all you people that complain about the amount of take-aways/cafes/hairdressers in Penicuik, just what sort of businesses do you want anyway?
Back to top Go down
sybil

sybil

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2009-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 9:57 pm

corner shops ,abody neds a corner som times
Back to top Go down
new_age

new_age

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeMon Aug 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Looks like we can have a serious debate here then! Sad
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 8:02 am

A decent electrical and clothes shop would be nice. A newsagents would also be useful but that's been tried and the neds disagreed Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
new_age

new_age

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2009 10:59 am

I think if McColls was profitable enough then the owners would of invested in improved security. Most people get there paper on the way to work anyway. Or from grocery stores - Sommerfields sell papers, only a stones throw from McColls. Electrical - think most people prefer comet, currys etc at the out of town retail parks as they can float from one to another to compare prices, either that or they shop online. Ditto for clothes - at kinnaird you got next, new look etc etc.

Dont get me wrong I am in favour of vibrant town centres, but people shop with there feet (or cars!) and they seem to choose not to shop in town centres. I wouldnt blame the businesses, blame the residents.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 4:57 pm

I hate to think what a state the precinct will be in once the snow eventually goes away. You already have to watch out for slabs sticking up at all angles because of the ice and frost so it will be a real danger zone.
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 3:46 pm

For any keen mountaineers, there is a new range for you to try - just outside the Post Office. I won't be surprised if we get one of those accident claim companies setting up there soon as there would be plenty of business for them. Sad
Back to top Go down
musicman

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 4:39 pm

If you find outside the Post Office to adventurous you can also try along between the Tower chippy and Ladbrokes.
On another note last night having passed through the Precinct (thankfully taking my time) snow fell from the roof of one of the houses opposite the opticians which was like an avalanche and covered the footpath - had I had been about 30 seconds ahead of where I was I would have been under it! Was also a very noisy affair like an almighty rumble of thunder. Very very close to being a replacement underwear job I can tell you Smile
Back to top Go down
SamTyler

SamTyler

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 3:07 pm

They are going to have to spend a lot of cash to fix things in the precinct - many of the gutters have been wrecked by ice and the pavements are in a real state. Maybe we should get the "health and safety" guys from the cooncil down there to check out how dangerous the place is! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeSat Jan 16, 2010 7:37 pm

It's good to see that the thaw seems to be well under way and the council have been round clearing the snow from the roads in the estate where possible. However, I do wonder whether it is a bit late to be putting down whin sand on the pavements. It does not seem to be making that much difference and the pavements are going to be quite a mess when the thaw finally clears the snow.
Back to top Go down
musicman

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 8:25 am

On a visit to family I couldn't believe the state of some of the side streets off Stevenson Road, in particular Livesey where residents appear not to have given any thought at all to clearing the snow at all. Also I know parking along there is generally a pain but the number of cars parked at the end of driveways with nothing in the driveway did amaze me. All the works vans that litter Stevenson Road doesn't help, but thats a different matter all together....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 7:05 pm

It's been a real pain as people in the side roads have been having problems getting their cars in and out of their driveways. The answer was to park their cars and vans in Stevenson road Mad Some residents at the end of Stevenson road had a better idea and got together to clear the whole of their street Rolling Eyes Although my son didn't use his car much during the bad weather, recently every time he moves it someone soon takes up his space. Last week instead of parking in my driveway I took his space until he returned from taking an elderly woman neighbour to do some shopping, as she couldn't get her car out of her driveway Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penicuik pedestrian precinct   Penicuik pedestrian precinct Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Penicuik pedestrian precinct
Page 1 of 1